Koonik, van Der Ploeg Lead Cowgirls Tennis Past Air Force
COLORADO SPRINGS -- Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg combined for a doubles win, and won each of their singles matches, leading the Wyoming tennis team (10-6, 2-1) to a 4-3 win over Air Force (11-4, 0-2).
“This was a great tennis match for both teams,” Cowgirls head coach Dean Clower said. “I felt like Air Force was ready to play and so were we. The team was tough as nails from one to six in singles and played extremely structured doubles on all the lines.”
In doubles action, sophomore Ana Tkachenko and freshman Myiah Scott defeated Carley Hatcliff and Meredith Laskey, 6-3, followed by a 6-4 win by juniors Koonik and van Der Ploeg over TJ Fumagalli and Elizabeth Barnickel.
Senior Magdalena Stencel and sophomore Milka Genkova were tied, 5-5, with Meredith Jones and Ashleigh Harvey but didn’t finish.
Koonik extended the UW lead to 2-0 with a straight set win, 6-1, 6-0 over Laskey.
“Elisa (Koonik) came out early in singles and set the tone of how this match was going to be played," said Clower. "Tessa (van Der Ploeg) and Magdalena (Stencel) were absolutely Cowgirl tough and came up with big wins after falling behind.”
Air Force won its first point of the day at the number two spot with Barnickel beating Genkova, 6-2, 7-5. van Der Ploeg dropped her first set, 6-3, and fell behind in the second, 4-2, but rallied to win the set, 7-5, followed up by a 6-2 win in the third set to put UW up 3-1 in the match.
At the number one position, Stencel lost a tough first set, 7-6 (8-6), but rallied back by winning the next two sets, 6-1, 6-3, to clinch the match for the Cowgirls. In the final two matches, Scott lost to Hatcliff, 6-4, 6-0, followed by a three-set win, 6-3, 1-6, 6-4, by Harvey over Tkachenko.
UW returns to action on Sunday against the New Mexico Lobos. The match is set 10 a.m. MT in Albuquerque.
Wyoming Cowgirls 4, Air Force 3
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. TJ Fumagalli (AFA), 6-7 (6-8), 6-1, 6-3
2. Elizabeth Barnickel (AFA) def. Milka Genkova (WY), 6-2, 7-5
3. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. Meredith Laskey (AFA), 6-1, 6-0
4. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Meredith Jones (AFA), 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. Ashleigh Harvey (AFA) def. Ana Tkachenko (WY), 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
6. Carley Hatcliff (AFA) def. Myiah Scott (WY) 6-4, 6-0
1. Tessa van Der Ploeg/Elisa Koonik (WY) def. TJ Fumagalli/Elizabeth Barnickel (AFA), 6-4
2. Milka Genkova/Magdalena Stencel (WY) vs. Meredith Jones/Ashleigh Harvey (AFA), 5-5 unfinished
3. Ana Tkachenko/Myiah Scott (WY) def. Carley Hatcliff/Meredith Laskey (AFA), 6-3